5 Tips from Chris Wolberg DDS & Associates in Richmond
Your smile tells a lot about you. A recent Forbes article says your smile contains clues about your health and your self-image. Your smile can play a significant role in the quality of your life. Dr. Chris Wolberg and his team offer these suggestions for making sure your smile is bright in the new year.
- Resolve to brush at least twice a day – and floss every day. Building brushing your teeth into your morning and evening routine is an excellent resolution in the new year. Have you heard Jeff Foxworthy’s joke about flossing? Jeff tells the story: “I went to the dentist a few weeks ago, he’s looking in my mouth. He says, “You haven’t been flossing every day, have you?” I said, “No, not every day! Let’s see… the last time I flossed… you did it!” While many people often forget to floss, it’s a great habit to start in 2020.
- Get a new toothbrush. Check out the toothbrush you’re currently using. If the bristles are curled or flat, they’re not cleaning your teeth properly. Invest in a new toothbrush for the new year or consider an electric version. Healthline reports that electric toothbrushes effectively clean teeth and remove plaque, especially if you or one of your children have braces.
- Make sure your diet is good for your teeth. Sugary drinks like soda, alcohol, and sweet coffee or tea are tough on teeth. You can minimize the impact by brushing your teeth (or at least rinsing your mouth) afterward. Hard candies and nuts are hazardous, too. Instead, try to eat more fruits like apples, kiwis, or strawberries which have natural fiber that helps remove food and bacteria from teeth. Fresh carrots, cucumbers, broccoli, or cauliflower are also natural cleaners. Some cheeses, including Monterey Jack, cheddar, and brie, contain minerals to strengthen your teeth. They also reduce the acid in your mouth, reducing the risk of dental decay.
- Schedule a professional dental cleaning. If your holidays included extra trips to the coffee shop or a few glasses of wine, your teeth might have stubborn stains. You’ll have a whiter smile with professional teeth cleaning, and importantly, you’ll improve your dental health by getting rid of tartar and plaque.
- Talk to your dentist about professional teeth whitening. Even with regular brushing and dental cleanings, your teeth may still have discoloration. If your teeth and gums are healthy and you don’t have front fillings or crowns, you may be a candidate for in-office teeth whitening. The process usually takes less than an hour, and if you take care of your smile, results could last for a year or longer, according to The Cleveland Clinic.
Get the Smile You Deserve from Dr. Wolberg & Associates
You may not keep all your new year’s resolutions, but having a healthy, bright smile is an attainable goal, especially with the help of Chris Wolberg & Associates in Richmond, VA. Our team will talk with you about good dental habits and demonstrate proper brushing and flossing techniques. You’ll receive compassionate, personalized care that meets your needs.
Call our Richmond dental office today at (804) 379-9375 to schedule your appointment or contact us online. Make your smile a priority in 2020!